My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://the-little-moments.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2008

I love NY



Here's the reason I put up with NY's eight month winters: we never get hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes or floods. It's a safe place to live. Sure, I picked up a lot of garbage after "Ike" passed through town. That's nothin. I really like electricity.

I read an article today about a device for deaf people that gives them warnings about weather reports. It's estimated that one in eight people have a hearing loss, and 25% of those are considered deaf. Audio warnings just don't work for a lot of people.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency began distributing weather radios to the hearing impaired to alert them with a small strobe light and a "pillow vibrator" that trembles hard enough to wake a person. The radios also come with a transmitter and remote receiver that can be used in another room, to cause a lamp to start flashing.

Cool stuff. But, don't you think it would be important for it to run on batteries too for those instances that the POWER GOES OUT? I rolled my eyes when I read that it depends on electricity to work.







3 comments:

Melissa said...

exactly why I love NY. I'd rather deal with snow, and a little flooding here and there than tornado's, hurricanes, earthquakes etc. The snow is generally not devastating.

Kelly said...

What an interesting read.

Oh come on, anyone with basic common sense should have known that it would function so much better with batteries! Sheesh!

Thanks for sharing this.. I have never heard of it.

Ronda said...

I miss autumn in NY so much! We don't have much in the way of trees here, only corn and pumpkin fields. ho hum.

 

Made by Brian Trager