My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://the-little-moments.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2008

An unusual date

Brian and I had a date at 9am this morning. It was a very unusual one, but dates are an infrequent part of my life, so I took it anyway. Joshua was out for "pan-pakes" with Grandma and Grandpa so we were free as a bird with only Kaylee along for the event. She sat in her stroller and didn't make a peep.

We went over to NTID's National Science Fair for high school students. 54 deaf and hard-of-hearing students from all over the country came to show off their science projects. They ranged from interesting to really not interesting. Good thing I wasn't one of the judges. Honestly, I don't care much about science or projects, and certainly not when combined together. I could hardly catch finger spelled words such as "fructose, sucrose, carbohydrate decomposition", let alone remember what those words mean. BUT- It was fascinating talking with these young kids.

I have very little exposure to deaf people in this age bracket. VRS is used almost exclusively by deaf adults, and those are the people I interact with daily. These cute little smarty-pants kids were amazing! They answered my questions and explained their little theories on germs, insulation, and water pollution, and other sciency things. It was great to see their signing styles and confidence in using their first language. They are the next generation of deaf adults. Pretty soon I'll see them on VRS.

No comments:

 

Made by Brian Trager