My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://the-little-moments.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Big Fat Lies

Think for a moment about the "tall tales" my mind generates about the size and shape of my body, about losing weight, about how happy I will be when I take off those 10 or 20 pounds. Those thoughts generally leave me feeling depressed and overwhelmed. I need to take a moment and ask, are these thoughts really true? Is it true that my body is ugly? Who am I comparing myself to? To a 20- yr-old or an actress who works out 3 hours a day, or to myself 10 years ago?

My body is the piece of the universe I've been given, designed by God, the place where love and joy and grief happen, where happiness unfolds. Do I really want to keep believing that it's a horrible, ugly, lumpy thing? What would happen if I stopped the incessant chatter about how lumpy or stretchy or ugly my body is? What would happen if, instead, I thanked my body for taking me this far. For lifting packages, and bearing children, taking me through life and all that requires of me. It's done a great job, and how do I treat it...with disgust or frustration? All of that negativity needs to be turned into thankfulness for my health, for my strength for all that my body allows me to do.

I should listen carefully to see what my body really wants. Maybe it doesn't want so much sugar. Maybe it wants more rest. (DUH) When I pay attention to what my body really wants, I won't have to use deprivation and willpower and force to rein myself in. I won't have to make resolutions. When me and my body are on the same side, my actions will be effortless, graceful and loving.

Taken from Geneen Roth's article called "Big Fat Lies" and randomly edited by me!

No comments:

 

Made by Brian Trager